Spaghetti Carbonara is one of the easiest pasta dishes that you will ever make! Mix in a little bacon, tomatoes, and fresh basil and try your hand at this classic Italian dish today!
Let’s talk about this pretty pasta that is taking up your screen right now. Spaghetti carbonara is one of my absolute favorite dishes and I thought it would only be fitting to share it here.
It’s such a classic dish and usually when I’m out at a pasta restaurant, I’ll order.
Unfortunately, most carbonara dishes that you find at chain restaurants are made with alfredo sauce. That, my friends, is not how you make classic carbonara.
It’s traditionally a sauce made only with eggs, parmesan cheese, and pasta water (if needed). My husband even made a comment about it when I served it… “where’s the sauce?” is what he said.
To my knowledge, he has only had the “restaurant version” of the classic dish and I felt like he was disappointed with this one.
However, with a little educating and Googling (because he didn’t believe me) he was convinced I was right. It was only then that he decided to tell me that he loved it and continued to eat the rest of the pot – leaving no leftovers to be had for lunch the next day.
This dish embodies the classic carbonara exactly with some added tomatoes and fresh basil for a little color and added flavor.
- 1 lb spaghetti pasta
- 6 slices bacon cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente. Reserve 1 1/2 cups cooking water and drain rest of pasta.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until brown and slightly crispy; about 6-8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, shallot and cook until tomatoes burst; another 5 minutes.
- Pour off 1/2 of the grease and dripping from the pan. Return pan to stove.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, parmesan cheese, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper then slowly add the reserved pasta water, whisking constantly as to not scramble the eggs, until smooth.
- Reduce heat under skillet to medium-low and add pasta. Toss well to combine then slowly pour in the egg mixture, tossing constantly to not scramble the eggs, to make a creamy sauce.
- Season again with salt and pepper while adding small amount of pasta water to loosen the sauce as needed. Stir in the basil.
- Serve immediately topped with extra parmesan cheese and fresh torn basil.