Comforting tortellini soup with a tomato based broth and pork sausage that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or any rainy day.
Happy June everyone!
First off, how is it June already?!? This feels like the fastest year I have ever lived.
I hope you guys had a spectacular Memorial Day weekend! I definitely did.
We had a little get together at the house here with some friends and their kids. Did a little grilling out in the backyard and just let the kiddos run amuck while the parents enjoyed food and drinks.
We were actually invited to another party at someone else’s house – that the hubby didn’t tell me about, per usual – so I didn’t even know about that one before I started inviting people when we were at his residency dinner last week.
I found out after we got home.
Oh well. Next time.
Stefan’s farewell residency dinner was also last week and I cried. I am so ready for this medical school/residency journey to be over, yet I’m not at the same time.
Does that make sense?
It’s also kind of hard to believe that everything is coming to an end and that all (most) of our friends will be moving along their merry way someone where else in the US while we will still be here.
I wrote a big ole’ rant about it here if you want to read it.
My bestie (the same one who already listed her house for sale) is about to leave for a couple days to go find a new house.
Cue the ugly cry.
Anyway, since we were so busy this past week and weekend, I just wanted to make a simple dinner the other night when we were home. It was also raining out and I just felt the need for a big bowl of soup.
I know, I know soup in the summer ?
But I just took what I had in the pantry and fridge and threw it together to make comfort in a bowl. Because I could sure use some comfort right about now with all the crazy changes that are happening.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 20 oz cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, crumbling sausage as it cooks.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant; about 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, oregano and basil. Add 1 cup water and tortellini and stir to combine. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 4-5 minutes until tortellini is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.