The softest, best chocolate chip cookies got even better with caramel bits stuffed into the center!
It’s hard to believe that this year is almost over and I am already in baking mode for the holidays! I wasn’t really ready for fall when it arrived but now I all about getting ready for the holidays. My husband, who loves Christmas, has already asked me if we can put up Christmas decorations. Personally, I don’t really mind but at the same time I’d like to celebrate one holiday at a time! Let’s get through Thanksgiving first before taking those down and putting up Christmas decorations.
Anyway, despite my decoration aversion, I am still fully immersed in creating my holiday cookie list and getting baking done for giving away to all the neighbors. These chocolate chip caramel cookies will be one of the recipes that makes a debut in the cookie basket! We all know that chocolate chip cookies are classic but why not make them just a little different? Swap out the regular chocolate chips for chocolate chunks (yes!) and then stuff them with caramel (double yes!!)!
I had this epiphany while shopping at our local Walmart and saw their Kraft Baking Center set up in the middle of the aisle. They had all the ingredients I needed right there in the middle so I can create an easy, budget-friendly, fabulous cookie. So I grabbed a box of Jello Instant Pudding mix (for super soft cookies), a box of Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate, and the new Kraft Caramel Bits for stuffing in the center.
Now, I’ve done a cookie before that I stuffed with caramel and it didn’t work out so well with the caramels that I used previously. The cookies were soft but the caramel was hard as a rock in the center after they had cooled. It wasn’t fun trying to eat that, so I thought that these caramel bits would work out much better.. and they sure did.
These cookies turned out perfectly soft with a deliciously chewy caramel center that doesn’t get hard after the cookie cools!
Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookies
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (3.4 oz) box vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bar semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 (14 oz) bag caramels unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and sugar until incorporated and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg and mix well.
- Add flour, instant pudding mix, baking soda, and salt and mix until combined.
- Cut Baker's chocolate bar into small chunks and add entire bar to dough mixture and combine.
Scoop cookie dough out by about 2 Tablespoonful and flatten in the palm of your hand. Press 1 caramel into the center of the dough and seal dough around it, covering completely and creating a ball.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet and continue with rest of dough, spacing about 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees F for 10-13 minutes. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 5-10 minutes before moving to wire rack to continue cooling.