Simple beer and cheese soup made with your favorite beer and flavored with garlic, thyme, and paprika.
Here we are, ladies and gents, onto day 2 of our week full of soup recipes!
It finally started snowing here the other day and I find myself being surprisingly ok with it. Maybe I’m just getting used to it? I dunno… the snow is still not my favorite but I feel more ok with it this year that I have in years past.
Maybe it’s because there’s only a couple inches on the ground as opposed to 12 or more. Ask me if I am ok with the snow when we get to that point…
So while the temps are still hovering around 20ish degrees and apparently supposed to be dropping into the teens, in the next few days, I’ve been holed up here at home devouring bowl after bowl of soup.
There really can never be too much soup in one’s life and this beer cheese soup is one of my favorites. When I made it, I made a grilled cheese sandwich to go alongside it as dinner for the family.
When I was a kid we would have “grilled cheese night” and mom would make tomato soup and grilled cheese. It was kind of fun and something that I enjoy doing for my kids.
So when you make this soup, be sure to make some grilled cheese sandwiches to go alongside it. Or you could make these grilled cheese croutons from Cook Craft Love to go on top!
I just added regular croutons for this shoot but those grilled cheese croutons sound wayy better than just the plain ones that I used.
This soup comes together in about 30 minutes… those croutons come together in about 15 minutes. Dinner on the table in less than an hour?!? Sounds like a plan to me.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 cups shredded American cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 oz) bottle light beer
- In a stockpot, sauté garlic and onion until soft and onions are translucent.
- Add flour; cook, stirring constantly over medium heat about 4-5 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth, milk, thyme, and paprika and cook stirring frequently until mixture thickens slightly; about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses gradually, small handfuls at a time, and cook just until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat, stir in beer and serve topped with croutons and extra cheese, if desired.