This has been one weird winter.
When we moved here to Michigan, I always said that if I’m going to live in a snowy state, I want to at least have a white Christmas. Well, we had our white Christmas but then that was literally all.
As soon as January rolled around all the snow melted and it’s just been cold and rainy. Like still freezing cold, as in, 30° F cold, but not snowing. Freezing rain.
And it’s not even nice out either. It’s still grey and gloomy out. Which still makes me feel like not doing much of anything and just sitting on the couch and cozying up with a blanket and soup.
Then there’s where this soup comes in. January is my favorite month to make soups and I usually make at least 4-5 different varieties.
I love soups because of their versatility. You can really just find about anything you have in the fridge and throw it in a pot with some broth and call it soup.
Which is kind of how this soup came about. I found a head of cauliflower in the fridge and thought it would make a great soup. Throw in some kale, jarred roasted red peppers, and fresh rosemary from my mini herb garden next to the window, and I’ve got a delicious soup.
The family was quite impressed with this and my meat-loving hubby didn’t even realize that it was vegetarian. haha Boom!
Cauliflower Kale Soup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 large cauliflower chopped
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale stemmed and torn
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, onions, garlic, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes soften and onions are translucent; about 8-9 minutes. Add cauliflower and cook for additional 5-6 minutes until tender.
- Stir in chicken broth and peppers, cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add kale and simmer additional 5 minutes, until kale is wilted and cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.