Turn taco night into enchilada night with these stupid simple chicken enchiladas.
My daughter finally comes back from Florida today! I am so excited!
I feel like I haven’t seen her in forever. I only think it’s been about 3 weeks but still forever in my eyes.
Her and my mom are flying into Chicago in just a couple hours, so I gotta make this post short and sweet because I still have to do my workout, shower, change, and then drive 1.5 hours to Chicago to grab them. So I am busy, busy today.
Then I think they are going to want to go out to lunch because they hopped on the plane at about 6 this morning. Then we might just do a little Chicago sightseeing. We don’t get to Chicago that often and I like to just grab a bite and hang out in downtown for a little while when I do head over.
Tonight I might make these for dinner though… now that I am looking at them. They are so delicious and yesterday was Taco Tuesday. Heck.. why not?
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 8 small corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 13x9 baking dish by spraying with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Over medium-high heat in a saute pan, cook chicken until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove chicken and place in bowl.
- Add onions to saute pan, and cook until just translucent. Add onions to bowl with chicken.
- Shred chicken with two forks or electric mixer (best option). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 cup water, tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin and mix until combined. Add 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese and combine all ingredients.
- Divide chicken mixture between 8 tortillas; roll and place seam-side down in prepared baking dish.
- Prepare sauce by combining tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and cheese in bowl. Pour sauce evenly over enchiladas in baking dish.
- Bake enchiladas at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated through. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.