Dress up your regular ramen soup by adding sliced chicken, mushrooms, and a soft boiled egg.
I have a soft spot for ramen… don’t you? I remember when I was first living on my own it was just about the only thing I could afford.
I remember saying to myself that once I started a “real job” and made “real money” that I wouldn’t be buying ramen anymore because I could afford “real food.”
Hahahaha, boy was I wrong.
No matter how much money you make, I think everyone still buys the super cheap packs of ramen for random dinner nights. And yes, we still buy it buy the case.
Ramen might just be one of my hubby’s favorite “quick” meals to prepare. Whenever I don’t really feel like cooking or he comes home and just wants to whip something together quickly, you can bet it’s going to be some ramen.
Since the kiddos love noodles and soup, it’s a no brainer to make since we know that everyone will eat it.
He has made it so many different ways, too, that it’s hard to keep track of them all. This most recent one was a chicken ramen that I suggested when I saw him grabbing some ramen out of the cabinet.
While he made his ramen broth and noodles, I grabbed some chicken out of the refrigerator, seasoned it real quick, and stuck it in a pan to cook. Then I added a soft boiled egg, some mushrooms, sliced scallions, and chili sauce to give the broth a little kick.
Of course, you can leave out the chili sauce if you prefer or use a sweet chili sauce instead… but either way you cannot go wrong with a dressed up ramen.
The hubby likes to add sriracha and make the broth super spicy but luckily he only does that with his and not the whole pot… or the kids wouldn’t eat any of it.
Those little $0.19 packets of ramen are definitely better when you add a little chicken and some veggies.
- 3 medium boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 packages ramen noodles without spice packets
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 4 large eggs soft boiled
- 2 scallions sliced
- chili sauce for dressing
- In a medium skillet, over medium-high heat, add olive oil and chicken. Cook, turning occasionally until chicken is done; about 6-8 minutes. Remove from pan and slice.
- While chicken is cooking, bring medium pot with chicken broth to boil. Add ramen noodles and cook until done. Remove from heat.
- Divide noodles among 4 bowls and top with chicken broth. Add sliced chicken, soft boiled egg, mushrooms, and scallions. Dress with chili sauce if desired.
- Serve immediately.