Perfect pumpkin pancakes with added chocolate make this breakfast perfect for a chilly fall morning.
I do have to say that pancakes, by far, are my favorite breakfast food. So whenever I get the chance to make a nice pancakes breakfast for the family, I never turn it down.
It’s rare that my children actually ask me to make pancakes. For some reason they like their morning cereal… even on the weekends.
But just the other weekend my oldest daughter asked me to make some chocolate pancakes.
But I decided to do a fun little twist and make them chocolate pumpkin pancakes instead of regular chocolate pancakes. I actually found this recipe on my friend, Whitney’s site – Whitbit’s Kitchen – and then altered it slightly.
I do have to say that Whitney has some amazing recipes on her site and I have definitely tried more than a few of them. So if you have the chance you need to check out her recipes… so delish!
So I didn’t actually tell my daughter that I was putting pumpkin in these pancakes… haha, sneaky sneaky. Because she would have turned her nose up at them without even trying them – as most 10 year olds do for anything.
I just went on my merry way making the pancakes then serving them to her. Of course she devoured a whole stack and it wasn’t until then that I decided to tell her that they had pumpkin in them.
She made a slight snarl face and then went about finishing off 2 more pancakes. I ended up having to make a second batch just so that there was enough for the rest of the family.
So unfortunately for me, I didn’t have enough to do my usually freezing to save for the rest of the week but the family and I definitely had a delish breakfast that morning.
These pancakes are so perfect for fall with the hint of cocoa while still maintaining a full pumpkin and pumpkin spice flavor.
You’ll definitely want to try these on your next weekend morning. Or during the week. Whatever works for you.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat electric griddle to medium and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Add milk, pumpkin puree, egg, and vegetable oil and mix to combine.
- Scoop out by 1/4 cupfuls onto preheated griddle and cook until edges are firm and bubbles begin to form on top; 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook additional 2-3 minutes until pancakes are done.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with powdered sugar, if desired, and your favorite pancake toppings.