Beautiful meatball-like sliders that are super simple to prepare and make a perfect snack or meal.
This post has been sponsored by Bertolli but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
This week has been a crazy busy week so far. I don’t know about you but there is something about the holidays that just make me feel so flustered and like I cannot get everything done.. or anything done for that matter.
I have a to-do list a mile long and no matter how much I work and cross things off, there is always something new to add and feels like the list is getting longer and not shorter.
I love the holidays but I will be glad that they are over and we can get back into a normal routine again and into a normal schedule.
Recently my daughter asked me to make some meatballs for dinner, because she absolutely loves pasta.
However, this time instead of having pasta for the 100th time this month, I decided to do something a little different with those meatballs and turned them into sliders!
I also had an extra jar of Bertolli Riserva sauce in the pantry that I knew would be perfect for this recipe.
I previously used a jar for some tortellini soup that turned out amazing and so I knew that the Bertolli sauce would give a nice added element to the sliders.
I ended up cooking them in a cast iron pan, which I have never done before, and they turned out amazing. I only did this because it was dark and freezing outside and didn’t feel like going out into the cold to cook dinner.
I’m glad I didn’t because they were so good that I don’t think I’ll ever make burgers on the grill again. I feel like I had much more control over the temperature and the doneness of the burgers with the cast iron pan versus the grill.
So if you can, cook these in a cast iron skillet. If not, then regular grill cooking will work just fine and these burgers will still turn out amazing!
- 8 frozen sourdough rolls
- 8 oz sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- fresh basil leaves
- 8 Tbsp marinara sauce
- Preheat grill or cast iron skillet on stove to medium-high heat.
- Bake rolls according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, ground beef, basil, oregano, salt, and garlic powder. Divide meat mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each into meatball form.
- Place meatballs on grill rack or in cast iron skillet and cook until reached desired doneness.
- Sprinkle cheese over top of patties just before they are finished cooking.
- Cut sourdough rolls in half and place 1 large basil leaf on bottom bun; top with 1 patty and 1 Tbsp. sauce then top of roll.
- Serve immediately.