Have your burger and eat your greens at the same time with these ground beef burgers with added spinach.
As a mom, I feel like it’s a never-ending battle to get my kids to eat veggies. Please tell me I’m not the only one.
Of course, I know that it’s my fault for allowing that kind of eating habit at such a young age but I knew it had to change.
One day I was finally sick and tired of making two different meals every day and told her that if she didn’t eat what we were eating, then she wouldn’t eat at all.
And so it went… she refused to eat for like 3 days and then was finally hungry enough to venture and try what we were eating.
Thankfully, it worked and now she has a much more eclectic pallet and eats many different foods.
It’s still a struggle to get her to eat her veggies sometimes but she is much better than she was before.
I’ve definitely learned my lesson from that experience and since I’ve had a second child, I realized that I cannot completely let her decide what she wants to eat.
Thankfully, my second baby is a much better eater than her older sister and she’s only 2!
But there are still things I need to get creative on to get them to eat just a few more veggies. It’s also not a help that my husband isn’t much of a veggie eater either.
So I thought to try and add some chopped spinach to a burger, since my family loves burgers.
I worked because no one even knew that I added chopped spinach to these and gobbled them down just as quickly as they would have a “regular” burger.
These burgers turned out perfectly juicy and delicious and will be happening probably every time I make burgers now.
- 2 cups spinach fresh, packed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 small yellow onion minced
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices monterey jack cheese
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the spinach until finely chopped.
- Add spinach to large mixing bowl with ground beef, onion, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and form into 4 burger patties.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Place patties in pan and cook, 3-4 minutes per side or until desired doneness is reached.
- During the last minute of cooking, add sliced cheese and allow to melt.
- Remove from pan, place on burger bun with your favorite burger toppings.